Tuesday, May 12, 2009

mmmm Meat Sauce...

I could easily make my spaghetti sauce or "gravy" (haha) from scratch, but boy is that toooooo much work for a week day (maybe one Sunday I'll make it and post the recipe) but today I'm just using jar sauce and doctorin' it up!

I think the key to a good MEAT sauce is some sort of meat on the bone - that is where the flavor is! So I normally buy the cheapest pork I can find on the bone...
Of course this time I bought way more than I needed so my costs are going to be way off (but this will make a ton)

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Tomato, Cucumber, Mozzarella Salad


Meijer: Western Ribs - $4.51
Meijer: 1/2 lb ground pork - $1.92
Caputo's: 1/2 lb ground turkey - $1.35
2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce - I'm using Rinaldi that i had in the cabinet which I think I got at Jewel B1G1F ($1.50/ea)
1 box pasta (on hand)


you can use any spices you like in your sauce, I use garlic, fennel seed, italian seasoning, and oregano.



First I coat the pan with olive oil and throw 2 sliced garlic cloves in. Then salt and pepper the western ribs, and brown them in the pan. Once It is browned I add the ground meat and cook it through, and add the rest of the spices. Then throw in the two jars of sauce

and put the heat on low (and cook it ALL DAY!) okay I realize all day is vague and impossible, but I started it at 1pm for 6pm dinner... The western ribs should fall apart.

If you choose to make meat balls (which I didn't today), I always put them in the sauce for the last 30 minutes, it gives both the meatballs and the sauce tons of flavor, and the meatballs will be soooo moist. (a couple other yummy things to put in the sauce to make it tasty: italian sausage or braciole)

I'm only making 1lb of pasta, for dinner tonight and lunch leftovers for a couple days, but there will be soooo much sauce left - be prepared to freeze some for next time.

I also made a "salad" to go with the pasta...
2 tomatoes (Caputo's : $0.60)
1/2 cucumber (had on hand)
mozzarella ($1)
1 basil leaf (Caputo's: bunch = $1.49)
olive oil (on hand)
salt (on hand)
Romano (on hand)


I slice everything up and layer it around a bowl, salt the tomatoes, and top with olive oil and the basil leaf cut into ribbons. Let it marinade as long as possible - Top with Romano or Parmesan right before serving...
Total cost (Serves 4-6 with sauce left over for another 4 servings): UNDER $15

3 comments:

  1. are you not a fan of ground beef in your gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing against ground beef - I usually use it, but that's what I had in the freezer (and it doesn't taste any different at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmmmm :) <--from your sister

    ReplyDelete