Monday, November 2, 2009

November

I haven't done a whole lot of grocery shopping in a while... but this month I decided it would be silly to pass up all the great deals I was seeing and so now we have a stocked freezer and I'm slowly nipping away at my list of things I need to prepare a "Thanksgiving" meal. I've officially run out of room in my freezer. Its packed. Probably more than is recommended! unless we eat a substantial amount of food in the next week or two, I will be buying a turkey last minute and letting it hang in the fridge to defrost... maybe that is the way to go anyway... I mean is there really a possibility of running into the problem of not being able to get a turkey? More likely they'll be cheaper the closer we get to the day right?? right?!

so my shopping this week for the month included:
Cermak's=
5lb bag of potatoes $0.99, 3lb bag of onions $0.59, 2-25ft aluminum foil $0.99ea, 2 -whole chickens (approx 7lbs total) $3.29, approx 8lbs of chicken breasts ($1.39/lb) $10.67, approx 3lbs pork chops ($0.99/lb) $3.13, 2 racks of spare ribs approx 3lbs each ($0.99/lb) $5.58, top sirloin steaks approx 2lbs ($1.99/lb) $4.12 = TOTAL $31.01

ALDI=
chicken nuggets (32oz) $3.99, 3 biscuits $1.14, 2 5lb bags of flour $2.78, 1 5lb bag of sugar $2.22, 2 silicone baking mats $11.98, 2 Red sugar sprinkles $1.58, 3 baking spices (nutmeg, pumkpin pie spice, allspice) $2.97 = TOTAL $27.84

Caputo's=
pizza bread $1.99, 5 frozen banquet meals ($0.99ea) $4.95, 2 Frozen French cut green beans $2, 3 Frozen Corn $3, 1 gal milk $1.99, 1 OJ $2.79, 32 oz chicken stock $1.99, 3lb boneless pork roast $4.26, 4 new york strip steaks ($2.99/lb) $9.54, 1 white onion $0.36, 1 sweet potato $0.39, 1 green onion $0.40, 3 heads of garlic $0.74, 1 red onion $0.48, 3 tomatoes $0.74, 2 bunches of broccoli $0.70, 2 orange peppers $0.62, 2 red peppers $0.48, 3 large artichokes $1, 1 eggplant $1.50, 3 bananas $0.44, 1 red cabbage $2.02, 1 loaf of wonder white bread $0.99, 1 pkg potato gnocchi $0.99 = TOTAL $45.14

I also hit up Meijer, and of course I'm missing my receipt. But I spent $65 there on pop, dog food, baby food, fabric softener and a bunch of miscellaneous crap i didnt NEED, jello, cake mix, oreos and nutter butters for truffles I'm making,  etc. (I saved $21 does that count for anything?)
Overall I feel good about spending $169... this is enough food for a month plus some, and a lot of things I needed for Thanksgiving. I don't think I'll be doing any major grocery shopping until January so that isn't bad at all!

Last night, I made myself red cabbage, after long battles with myself on which recipe to go with I made a decision:
1/2 stick butter
1 med onion sliced
1 head cabbage (a lil less really), shredded
1 unpeeled apple sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
salt and pepper

Personally I think it could have used a lil more vinegar, but it turned out delicious and it is sooo much! I'm gonna be eating it all week! I may just turn into a red cabbage!
We also had the NY strip steaks (well 2 of them) for dinner, mostly because they weren't frozen, and well, uh, they would not fit in the freezer in the package! I cooked them, uhhhhh, welllllll - you see I haven't cooked steak in a very long time, and i had no idea how long to cook them, and I looked it up online and of course I was impatient at not finding any help at all, i wasn't going to break out the stupid meat thermometer for a steak- so i went with 5 min on each side because there is nothing worse than a over cooked steak! Mine was a lil thinner and was cooked PERFECTLY! Mike's was a lil thicker and was still mooing a little in the center... don't get me wrong that is how i prefer to eat my meat so in reality it was probably cooked perfectly but i felt bad since I never thought of that to be Mike's favorite temp of meat, I offered to trade OF COURSE, but he really seemed to enjoy the meat still mooing... at least it was warmed through!
Ok I'm done rambling for now, but I may actually post more this month since I have real food to make real recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment